Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rights vs. Services

I read a great piece in the paper the other day, it was a re-print from The Weekly Standard by Noemie Ermey and it was entitled "A Fling with the Welfare State."
Now, while I could go on about this subject for hours, the point I want to make here is that she compared the ideal of a right and a good or service.  We as Americans have rights to worship, gather, own a gun, free speech, etc; but we don't have a right to health care, because it is a service.  The same could be said for the internet or cable, no one has a inalienable right to have satellite TV; it's a service and if you want it, you pay for it.
Wherein lies the problem, the liberal agenda is to give everyone the right to something that they should be paying for as a service, since it is a service.  It's like you want all the power but none of the responsibility.
I found the article very interesting, as it made me question a lot of values I have had/used most of my life and how some of those are in congruent in this situation.
Hmmm....

No comments: